Treat Yo’self! A Complete Guide to Self Care
Fans of the show Parks and Recreation might know that October 13th is annual "Treat Yo’self Day"! I absolutely love this concept and insist that you celebrate this ah-mazing holiday with me this year! Self-care is a seriously under-rated coping skill. It helps you meet your needs. It protects you from exhaustion. And it increases your sense of self worth. Women are so quick to put their time and energy into caring for others. But for some reason we hesitate to turn that care on to ourselves. Well, I say, no more! Can you agree to put yourself first for at least one day this year? Read on for some easy ways to celebrate your new favorite holiday and practice self-care all year round.
Treat Yo’self Every Year
It’s the best day of the year! On Parks and Rec, Tom and Donna save up for this occasion, so do whatever your budget allows. And no guilt allowed! Here are a few ideas to get you thinking:
- Take October 13th, or any other random day (i.e.: Not your birthday or any other holiday!), off from work or school to just do whatever you want. Spend the whole day in your pajamas or get your Ferris Bueller on. Your choice!
- Eat the most over the top, decadent meal and/or dessert you can think of. Bonus points if you can't pronounce it, it's an entire's day's worth of calories, or it's topped with gold flakes. Seriously, go crazy!
- Spoil yourself with a quality item (handbag, perfume, electronic device) that you’ve wanted for a long time.
- Spend a day at the spa. Book yourself a massage, facial, mani/pedi, or all three!
- Cross something off of your bucket list. Have you always wanted to ride a motorcycle or swim with dolphins? Maybe today is the day!
Treat Yo’self Every Month
I love the idea of an annual holiday devoted to self-care, but one day a year just isn’t enough. Here are some ways you can take care of yourself every month:
- Buy yourself something small that makes you happy, even if it seems ridiculous. (Like a quality box of chocolates or that funny t-shirt you liked.)
- Go out for a nice meal or make your favorite meal at home.
- Buy yourself flowers. It’s amazing what fresh blooms can do for your mood!
- Hit the salon for a mani/pedi or do them yourself at home.
- Plan a fun outing. Concert, beach day, shopping trip, it doesn’t matter, as long as it’s something to look forward to.
Treat Yo’self Every Week
Isn’t it nice to put yourself first once in a while? What if you made some time for yourself every week? Here are a few suggestions:
- Are you feeling exhausted? Blow off your chores and take a nap already!
- Say no to something you don't want to do, sans guilt. “Can you make 5 dozen cookies for the bake sale tomorrow? I know it’s last minute.”… “Can I get a ride to the airport Saturday morning? My flight leaves at 6:00.”… How about a "Nope!" Now be honest, doesn’t that feel great?
- Try a face mask. You can buy some or make one yourself at home.
- Take a nice long bath. Bonus points if you put on relaxing music and toss in some extra ingredients, like powdered milk and rose petals. (Yes, I'm serious!)
- Give yourself an hour or two to do something that makes you happy, whether it’s a craft project, yoga class, or lunch with a friend. Every. Single. Week.
Treat Yo’self Every Day
You do a lot in a day. And I know that you're busy. But that's even more reason for you to set aside a moment each day to recharge. Here are a few ideas to inspire you:
- Give yourself 10 minutes to sit and enjoy the sunrise or sunset.
- Unwind with a favorite beverage. (Yeah, Starbucks!)
- Enjoy a small treat, whether it’s adding a petite scone to your coffee order or eating a mini ice cream bar after dinner.
- Accept (or ask for) help with something, even if you don't think you NEED it. Ask your roommate if she can grab milk on the way home or let the bagger help you load your groceries into the car. It's nice to let other people take care of you!
- Spend at least 30 minutes doing something you consider fun. Even if it’s just face-timing your funniest friend or reading a trashy magazine.
See, it’s not that hard to squeeze in some regular self-care. And you really do deserve it. So no excuses! How are you going to treat yourself today?